Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Yesterday I drove the bus to Bluegrass International Trucks in Georgetown KY to have them replace the studs on the drive axle, inspect the brakes and adjust the slack adjusters, and check the wheel bearing and oil seals.  Let me know if you find anything else, was my last instruction.

WELL... they found more and called me late this afternoon for me to drive over and take a look.  Bad bearings on one tag axle, which I suspected.  Bad input seal and flange seal on the differential, which I knew about already.  Brakes ok except for the slack adjuster mechanism on both drive wheels... has play in the slack adjusters and s-cams.  The drive shaft universals are badly worn and possibly the yokes are out of round... might need a new drive shaft.  The last items was up front with the steering.  Worn tie rod ends, but more importantly BADLY worn king pins on both sides.  With as much play as he showed me on the king pins, no wonder she wandered in the lane and had lots of play in the steering wheel.  They are calling "axle surgeons" (yes a real company) to come out tomorrow and inspect the king pins.  Might have to have new front axle ends put on.

I think I hear a big sucking sound coming from my wallet.  Ben from International will give me estimates on the rest of the work tomorrow.   I am REALLY impressed with the work they have done so far and the thoroughness of the inspection.  Both Ben and the mechanic James seem to really know their job and take pride in their work.  I highly recommend them.

 Looks like my planned trip to Florida to work with Fred Hobe is put on hold for a bit.

No comments: