Sunday, July 21, 2013

I decided to take the bus out for another run today because it was overcast and some chance of rain off and on.  Since the bus does not have an air conditioning I try to pick cooler days to drive.  Today ended up being about 82 for a high and about as much humidity.  I drove back down I-75 south from Lexington to Williamsburg Ky and back.  Total it was about 202 miles.  Once again the bus ran flawlessly.

The only real snag was with the new dash fan I installed a couple of months ago.  This is the first time I've actually got to drive and use it and it really helps just in moving air around.  I have a small leak somewhere around the windshields when it rains heavy.  Every time it does, I have a small puddle on the dash dead center.  That is about the place I ended up putting the fan.  I've never been able to pin point where the leak comes from.  When I turned on the fan today it would not run.  The first thing I checked was power, which was ok.  Then I turned it on and spun the blades.  They were really stiff to turn but after a few attempts it took off.  I could use the fan for about 20 minutes or so and then it would start to slow down a bit and start making extra noises so I would turn it off, let it cool and try again later.

At this point I don't know if water got inside the fan motor or if it just has bad bearings.  Either way, it is pretty much useless and I need a new fan.

Today at the turn around point and again when I got parked back in Lexington, I took my infrared thermometer and checked several temps on the bus.  I noticed the left front brake drum was 25 degrees hotter than the right. The other issue is the left (street side) exhaust manifold on the engine is about 65 degrees hotter than the right (curb side) manifold.  I am not sure why, but I suspect that one bank of cylinders is doing more work than the other and probably the fuel rack needs adjusting.

Otherwise another flawless bus run.

No comments: