Tuesday, May 6, 2014

In my last post I mentioned that the purge valve that I rebuilt did not work properly... actually stuck open and purged continually preventing the building of air pressure in the system.  Today I took the bottom part of the air dryer to Charlie and Bluegrass Tours for advice.  He looked at it and immediately knew that I had put part of the valve parts in reverse order.  Also the bore where the parts go was scored badly.  Charlie had some parts from an old air dryer that were in better shape than mine so we swapped out some old parts of his with some parts of mine.  He reassembled the valve for me.  I took it back to the bus, installed the end assembly, aired up the bus, and it worked perfectly.  The bus now airs up, and the purge valve purges and seals like it was designed to do. 

After putting everything away, and getting the front of the bus down on the ground from where it had been sitting jacked up and on wooden blocks I started it up... the last time the engine was run was back in Sept 2013... so it has been over 7 months... I cranked it until oil pressure built up and then I released the fuel shutoff and she fired right off. 

Maybe if I can arrange it, I can take the bus out this coming Sunday for a short spin.  Now I can check this project off my list.

No comments: